The appearance of your smile can influence how people view and interact with you. That's one reason many people, including celebrities, choose porcelain veneers to achieve almost perfect teeth and enhance their social experience. Thanks to advances in dental technology, you can easily receive this cosmetic treatment, starting with a prosthodontist consultation to find out if it's right for you.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers, or dental porcelain laminates, are dental restorations that look like wafer-thin, tooth-colored shells. They are bonded to the front surface of your teeth to cover different kinds of imperfections. Individuals prefer them over composite and ceramic veneers because they are highly durable , long lasting and blend seamlessly with the natural tooth color.
Ways Porcelain Veneers Can Enhance Your Smile
The popular aesthetic treatment provides a range of benefits beyond just a brilliant smile.
- Hide imperfections: Veneers can correct imperfections such as hard-to-remove stains, discolorations, gaps, and chipped, fractured, or worn-down teeth.
- Provide symmetry: Teeth fitted with veneers usually appear perfectly aligned, leaving you with a beautiful, symmetrical smile.
- Permanent: The dental device is securely bonded to your teeth and won't easily break or fall off.
- Natural-looking: This selection of veneers comes the closest to mimicking the natural shine of your tooth's enamel.
- Stain-resistant: Their stain-resistant nature allows you to enjoy colored foods and beverages without needing to worry too much about teeth discoloration.
- Long-lasting: The lifespan of veneers is approximately 8-10 years but can extend to 20 years with good care. You can replace them after that.
Procedure for Porcelain Veneers
You can successfully receive custom-made veneers within 3-4 visits to your prosthodontist, after the initial consultation.
The first stage of the smile restoration procedure involves shaving off a thin layer of the tooth surface to accommodate the veneers. The next step is to make a mold of your teeth and send it to the lab to create micro-thin shells matching the current shape of your teeth.
You'll be fitted with a temporary set of veneers, which will later be replaced with the customized set several weeks later. The shells are cemented to your teeth using a permanent adhesive bonding material. This ensures your treatment stays in place.
Caring for Your Veneers
Caring for veneered teeth is the same as for your natural teeth. Continue to brush at least twice daily, floss, and rinse. You should avoid biting down on hard objects, such as bottle caps, and wear a nightguard to prevent breakage from nighttime bruxism. These precautions protect against veneer failure. Although stain proof, avoid beverages and foods such as red wine and coffee that stain teeth.
Am I a Good Candidate for Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers might be right for you if you have healthy teeth and gums and do not engage in habits that can destroy them. The treatment has been shown to improve the smile aesthetics of individuals who desire a flawless smile and greater self-confidence.
A Smile that Makes Lasting First Impressions
Your smile is one of your best social assets. Our trained and certified prosthodontist can assist you in getting one that's unforgettable. At your consultation, we will examine your teeth and dental history to help determine if veneers are a suitable choice for you. Our office is equipped with 3D technology to show you a real-life preview of the results.
If you’d like to learn more about porcelain veneers, contact us today at 508-620-6622 to schedule an appointment, or ask your dentist about porcelain veneers during your next comprehensive oral evaluation.