Are there benefits of choosing Invisalign instead of traditional braces for your orthodontic treatment? Effective but more comfortable than traditional metal braces, Invisalign will work to straighten your teeth just like metal braces.
The difference in comfort is due to the fact that the system uses a series of clear, soft plastic aligners to push your teeth into alignment over time,rather than pulling them into position with metal wires.
These aligner trays are made from images generated by a computer and made by your orthodontist.
How Invisalign Works
Invisalign aligners will be changed for a new set every week or 10 days during your treatment. Each time they are changed you’ll find that your teeth have become a bit straighter. Why? Because every individual aligner is shaped in the position of teeth that are just slightly more straight than your own, so that the aligner can incrementally and gently move your teeth into the position of each new aligner over time.
To make sure your treatment is going well, you’ll visit your dental office about every eight weeks during the process.
Benefits of Invisalign Over Metal Braces
Choosing Invisalign treatment over metal braces is a choice as clear as the aligners themselves when it comes to comfort, convenience, and appearance. Benefits include:
- Invisalign clear plastic aligners are unobtrusive.
- Invisalign straightens more comfortably using a gentle pressure
- Aligners are removable for up to 2 hours each day, unlike metal braces which cannot be removed during treatment
- Aligners are removable while you eat, drink anything other than water, and when you brush and floss your teeth
- You can eat and drink whatever you want during Invisalign treatment - there are no foods to avoid as there are with traditional braces, so you can enjoy crunchy, chewy foods such as apples, carrots, and corn
- There are no wires to come loose
- Routine dental care such as brushing and flossing is easier, and you can clean the aligners themselves when you remove them, simply by using a soft toothbrush
- Invisalign treatment time may be shorter than treatment using traditional metal braces
Still wondering if the benefits of Invisalign versus traditional braces make this the treatment for you? If comfort and convenience are a priority, the choice is a simple one to make. Invisalign works no matter what your age, and treatment can take a shorter period of time than treatment with traditional metal braces, averaging 6 months to 18 months instead of the average of two years for treatment using metal braces.
There’s only one thing you need to remember about Invisalign treatment. You do need to wear your aligners every day for the required number of hours or the treatment may not be effective.
Find Out More About the Invisalign System
If you’d like to learn more about Invisalign and how it can benefit you, or if it's time to schedule an appointment at our Framingham, MA office, our skilled dental team is here to help. Contact us today at 508-620-6622 .